March 17, 2010

lavender madeleines


When I was a kid, I always hated the fact that I liked the taste of madeleine cookies and tried to hide the fact that I liked them at all. I think it was because I just had a hate for the name Madeline. My entire life, I've been called everything BUT Madison - Maggie (when I went by nothing but Maddie), Natalie, Marjorie, Maybellene (I've got that one maybe five times in my life and I always hoped people got it from the Chuck Berry song, rather than the makeup), Marissa, and the most common, Madeline. I don't know why it bothered me so much as a kid. Maybe because I thought my name was so unique, or maybe I thought people weren't listening. I'm not sure.

Anyway...I always hated that I liked madeleines, but now that I'm over my whole name crisis, I love love love them. I'm very excited, tonight I ordered some Lavender Honey to make the Lavender Madeleine recipe below. I think these will be so wonderful with a cup of earl grey tea. In the meantime, while I patiently wait for my honey to come, I will make some more regular old madeleines.

Madeleines with Lavender Honey

9 tablespoons (1 stick plus 1 tablespoon) unsalted butter
4 large egg whites, room temperature
1 1/3 cups powdered sugar
6 tablespoons all purpose flour
1/4 cup almond flour or almond meal
1 tablespoon lavender honey

Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter each madeleine mold in pan and dust with flour, tapping out excess. Melt 9 tablespoons unsalted butter in medium skillet over medium heat. Cook until butter turns golden brown, stirring often, 3 or 4 minutes. Set browned butter aside

Using electric mixer, beat egg whites, sugar, all purpose flour, and almond flour is medium bowl until mixture is blended and smooth. Place honey in small microwave-safe bowl. Heat just to warm, 5 - 10 seconds (I'll do this on the stove, I suppose, seeing that we're microwaveless). Beat honey into batter. Add browned butter; beat to blend. Spoon 1 tablespoon batter into each prepared madeleine mold.

Bake madeleines until tops are just dry and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 12 minutes. Cool 5 minutes. Gently tap madeleines out of molds. Place on rack to cool slightly. Serve madeleines warm.

Recipe from Bon Appetit Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment